Flexible Online Master's in Communication
Break Through the Noise with Strategic Communication
Earn your degree in 18 months
Pick from 2 concentrations
Take courses entirely online
Stackable certificate options
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
- Duration 18 months
- Cost per Credit $942
- Credit Hours 30
- Customize your degree to your career goals
- Graduate with an interview-ready job portfolio
- Attend class when and where it’s convenient
- No application fee or GRE/GMAT scores required
Communicate with Clarity and Confidence
When so much information is competing for our attention, thoughtful, forward-thinking communication strategies are integral to operational success. At the Knight School of Communication, our online Master’s in Communication program teaches you how to craft engaging communication strategies that drive action and get results.
With concentrations in Strategic Communication and Organizational Communication, the MA in Communication program infuses communication theory with practical application, so you can use emerging media and technology to create compelling messages that reach diverse audiences.
You will learn under the guided mentorship of seasoned communication faculty who are experts in their field and gain an in-depth understanding of relevant, cutting-edge communication strategies and principles. This approach positions you to thrive as a communication industry leader.
The program is designed to provide you with added flexibility. You can choose to take online or face-to-face courses at your pace and complete the program in two years, or in as few as 18 months.
Small class sizes ensure individualized attention and interaction with faculty. Many of our students also have an opportunity to collaborate with faculty on research topics and projects related to their core interests.
Stackable Certificate Options Available.
As an alternative to the online Master’s in Communication degree, you can complete two 15 credit hour standalone certificates in Strategic Communication or Organizational Communication. The two certificates are stackable and by completing both certificates, you can earn the 30 credit hour MA in Communication.
Explore Our Specializations
The Queens Master’s in Communication online program offers two optional specializations so you can tailor your education to your needs, interests, and professional aspirations.
Flexible MA Communication: Strategic Communication
The Strategic Communication specialization offers you practice in various communication platforms. You will gain essential skills for designing, implementing and managing communication plans and strategies while developing an understanding of critical concepts in communication research, management, marketing, advertising, public relations and more.
Flexible MA Communication: Organizational Communication
The Organizational Communication specialization explores both the theory and practice of effective leadership, team building, group dynamics, and conflict management within an organizational setting. You will focus on the importance of effective group and team communication, which are critical for organizations to achieve their mission and/or goals.
A Curriculum That Makes Communication Leaders
Core courses 4
Electives offered 14
Guided by expert instructors who are active in the field, the online MA in Communication consists of 30 credit hours and combines communication theory with hands-on application. You will complete 12 credit hours of core requirements plus an additional 18 credit hours of coursework chosen from either an optional specialization or from our elective portfolio.
Graduate With an Interview-Ready Job Portfolio
Instead of a comprehensive exam, Queens gives you the option to create an online portfolio at the culmination of your communication master’s degree. This portfolio-approach is a great tool that you can showcase to potential employers and colleagues to demonstrate your skills, knowledge, and communication expertise.
Choose From Two Concentrations
- Strategic Communication: Dive into the complexity that surrounds the communication process, hone your critical thinking skills, and learn how to create, deploy, and manage communication strategies at the individual and organizational levels.
- Organizational Communication: Gain a deeper understanding of team and group dynamics so that you can implement more effective and personalized communication strategies for your audience.
What You Will Learn
As a student, and eventual graduate, of the Queens online communication master’s program, you will confidently walk away with a robust set of skills to propel you toward continued career success and proactively position you for future opportunities.
- Learn from an expert faculty of communication practitioners as you explore the relationship between principled leadership and effective communication.
- Demonstrate theoretical and research literacy within the communication discipline.
- Demonstrate the ability to write effectively for a specific audience.
- Apply ethical principles and practices within a communication situation.
- Utilize communication to embrace differences.
- Demonstrate digital and media literacy (Strategic Communication).
- Apply leadership principles and practices within a communication situation (Organizational Communication).
“The program combines theory and praxis by providing a foundation in different paradigms. The professors also provided and encouraged thoughtful, constructive conversations.”– Megan J. Robinson, MA in Communication Alumni
Job Growth is High for Communication Professionals
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, more than 27,000 new jobs will become available in media and communication occupations through 2028.1
As an advertising, promotions, and marketing manager, you could make a median annual salary of $132,620.2
Public Relations Manager
Secure a median annual salary of $114,800 as a public relations and fundraising manager.3
In our ever-evolving technological world, communication knowledge and skills are more important than ever.4 With an online communication degree from Queens University of Charlotte, you will possess both the theoretical knowledge and strategies you need to execute winning communication strategies across mediums and communities.Explore Careers
A Master’s in Communication is Universal
Communication is universal, so graduates with an MA in Communication are well-positioned for success in a wide variety of fields. In fact, students currently enrolled in the online communication program hail from a range of industries. The diversity of their experiences makes for interesting discussions in class, with each student contributing a unique perspective.
Our Students Come From the Following Fields:
- Public relations
- Corporate communication
- Health communication
- Leadership and organization development
- Training and consulting
- Human resources
- Community affairs and development
Graduates with an MA in Communication can easily prioritize work tasks, maintain a positive attitude, and work effectively with a team. These three soft skills are among the most sought after traits by employers.
Having the ability to communicate clearly with colleagues is essential to acquiring these skills. Beyond being a medium for transmitting information, communication is vital to organizational identity and brand, leadership, empowerment, creativity, and innovation.
No application fee
With no application fee, Queens University of Charlotte makes it easy to apply for admission to the online MA in Communication program. Here is what you’ll need to get started.
- Completed application. You can start your application here.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary academic coursework that demonstrate a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Written statement describing professional and personal goals and objectives
- Two letters recommendation of academic or professional reference submitted via fax or email
- Résumé that outlines academic and professional background and recognitions, honors, and awards
Plus, no GRE required for applicants with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.View All Requirements
Tuition and Financial Aid
The online Master’s in Communication program is a 30-credit hour program and costs $942 per credit hour.View Tuition Details
Figuring out how to pay for your education shouldn’t be intimidating. Many of our students use federal financial assistance to offset their tuition, and you may qualify, too.
Learn more about your financial aid options, including employer tuition reimbursement, scholarships and grants, and military benefits.Explore Financial Aid
The Online Student Experience and Its Advantages
Queens has a student-first approach to online learning that prioritizes what you need to succeed, including 24/7 tech support. Our motto is “not to be served, but to serve,” so we’re here to do just that. We strive to make sure our online students feel supported and get the best education, guidance, and support the University has to offer.
Online Learning Features and Tools
Social media/community tools
Queens utilizes Canvas, a robust and agile online learning environment where students can access course materials and assignments anytime, anywhere — even on your smartphone or tablet.Learn More About Online Learning
Guidance From Expert Faculty
Thanks to our small class sizes, you’ll have direct access to your professors. Get answers to your questions, individualized support, and more.
Our faculty is fully committed to making sure students thrive in the program and beyond. Read for more details on how that benefits you in this message from Carolyn Lagoe, Ph.D, Director of the MA in Communication program.Meet Your Faculty
Frequently Asked Questions
As you explore Queens’ Master of Arts in Communication, our dedicated staff is here to ensure your decision-making is stress-free and enjoyable. If you have a question we don’t cover here, request more information or call 866-313-2356.
The total cost of tuition for the program is $34,854 excluding fees.
Yes, the MA in Communication program accepts transfer credits, please speak with an Admission Advisor for more information.
The MA in Communication offers two optional specializations: Strategic Communication and Organizational Communication.
However, a concentration is not required. As an alternative, you can choose from a variety of in-demand electives.
To schedule a virtual open house, please contact an admissions advisor for more information.
- (2019, Sept. 4). Media and Communication Occupations. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/media-and-communication/home.htm
- (2019, Sept. 4). Advertising, Promotions and Marketing Managers. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/advertising-promotions-and-marketing-managers.htm#tab-8
- (2019, Dec. 16). Public Relations and Fundraising Managers. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/public-relations-managers.htm
- Taylor, J.C., Jr. (2019, May 7). Communication Skills Still Essentials for the Tech Generation: Ask HR. USA Today. Retrieved from https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/05/07/soft-skill-still-important-workplace-communication/3645270002/