LEAD YOUR TEAM IN OUTSTANDING PATIENT CARE.
Gain the leadership and business skills to guide organizational decision-making and lead a nursing team in the Nurse Administrator track.
Equip yourself with policy, finance, and leadership expertise, and emerge from Queens University of Charlotte as a nursing leader.
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
Achieve new heights in your vocation as you impart critical knowledge and inspire genuine enthusiasm.
The master’s degree program in nursing at Queens University of Charlotte is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
Career Outlook: Make Winning Decisions
A nursing team’s ability to provide excellent patient care owes much to its leadership, and demand for nursing managers is expected to climb 14.8 percent over the next decade.1
Careers in nursing administration involve a reduced primary focus on direct patient care. Instead, you will provide a bridge between management and nursing, guide decision-making to ensure your team is well-supported, and execute plans to improve the balance of healthcare access, cost, and quality.
Clinical Nurse Manager
As a clinical nurse manager, you would oversee personnel, manage schedules, and ensure appropriate levels of expertise among your team. You would coordinate and implement changes to internal processes and be the point of contact for patient concerns. The top 10 percent of clinical nurse managers earn more than $112,000 annually.2
As a nursing director, you would represent nurses and patients in a position of executive management. You would advance the quality of patient care and nursing programs, manage the budget, and provide mentorship and supervision to your nursing team. The top 10 percent of nursing directors earn more than $128,000 annually.3
Chief Nursing Officer
As a chief nursing officer, you would advise on best care practices, develop patient care programs and services, manage the nursing budget, and ensure that patient care, clinical standards, and staffing standards are met. The top 10 percent of chief nursing officers earn more than $143,000 annually.4
Other titles you may qualify for:
- Assistant director of nursing
- Specialty clinic director
- Director of nursing
- Vice president of clinical operations
- Nurse executive
Curriculum: The Business of Clinical Care
In the Nurse Administrator track, you spend half your credit hours gaining advanced, master’s-level nursing skills, and half gaining business administrative skills in leadership, management, interprofessional teamwork, and finance.
This program includes a total of 225 clinical hours at a location of your choice where you will implement the nurse administrator role, gaining real-world, hands-on experience around nursing’s role in a successful healthcare organization.
Course Spotlight: NUR 661 Leadership Principles and Practices
Gain an ethical framework for decision-making, and hone your leadership style. Understand how safety and regulatory issues impact your practice and learn strategies for keeping pace with industry developments.SEE ALL COURSES
Course Spotlight: NUR 662 Financial Management for Nurse Leaders
Gain an understanding of financial statements, revenue sources, and service costs, and learn to wield financial data and budgeting to keep both your organization and its patients healthy as they can be.
More Track Options
MS in Nursing (MSN): Clinical Nurse Leader
Champion patient care, act as a bridge between interdisciplinary teams, and provide advanced therapies.
MS in Nursing (MSN): Nursing Informatics
Participate in the analysis, design, and implementation of information and communication systems. Study the effectiveness of nursing communications, review informatics research, and learn to deliver the education of nursing informatics and information technology.
Frequently Asked Questions
As you explore Queens’ Master of Science in Nursing, our dedicated staff is here to ensure your decision-making is stress-free and enjoyable. If you have a question not covered here, request more information or call 866-313-2356.
You can complete your degree program in as few as two years.
The estimated total cost of the program is $22,680. This is subject to change.
Yes, you must pick a concentration. The first six classes are core classes and you can change your concentration at any time leading up to your seventh class.
You can choose from three specializations: Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL), Nurse Administrator, and Nursing Informatics.
The number of clinical hours required is dependent on the track chosen.
- Clinical Nurse Leader: 400 clinical hours
- Nurse Administrator: 225 clinical hours
- Nursing Informatics: 225 clinical hours
Application requirements include:
- A completed graduate application
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary academic coursework, indicating evidence of a BSN degree earned at a regionally accredited institution and nursing program accredited by NLNAC or CCNE. RNs with bachelor’s degrees that are not in nursing may be considered for the program.
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Evidence of a current unrestricted license to practice nursing in the state in which you will complete any practicum requirements of the program
- Burning Glass Technologies: Labor Insight™. Retrieved September 17, 2019.
- Payscale (2019 September 11). Average Clinical Nurse Manager Salary. Retrieved September 18, 2019, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Nurse_Manager/Salary.
- Payscale (2019 September 10). Average Nursing Director Salary. Retrieved September 18, 2019, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Nursing_Director/Salary.
- Burning Glass Technologies: Labor Insight™. Retrieved November 1, 2019.